The Board of Directors would love to see as many members as possible come out and vote at the Special General Meeting (SGM) on Tuesday, December 6. Your vote will help determine whether our board joins the other boards interested in forming a new organization called REALTORS® of BC.
In response to members who want to be a part of this historical decision and were looking for flexibility in casting their vote, the Board of Directors has approved voting by “paper ballot” for members who cannot remain at the SGM until the vote is called. This is a voting option for members who have already made up their mind on how they wish to vote and feel that further discussion on the vote will not affect their decision. FVREB By-laws require members to vote in person during the meeting.
Voting at the SGM:
- Members must register at the meeting as usual.
- Each eligible voting member will receive an electronic voting device (and a second device if they carry and register a proxy).
- Once the official meeting begins, there will be a short presentation on the meeting procedures, voting procedures and an overview of the proposal.
- The resolution will be presented, seconded, and discussion will begin.
- From this point and until the vote is called, those who cannot stay can return to the registration station and exchange their device(s) for paper ballot(s).
- Ballots can be marked at voting stations and placed into a ballot box.
- Scrutineers from our auditors (PricewaterhouseCoopers) will be in position to provide oversight in this process.
- This option is only available if you’re unable to remain at the meeting and only until the vote is called.
- When discussion has concluded, the vote will be called. Votes will be submitted using the electronic voting devices.
- Once the electronic vote takes place, there will be a brief recess while the paper ballot totals are added to the electronic totals. The compiled results will then be shared with the assembly.
Want to vote but can’t attend?
Our board allows each eligible voting member to carry one proxy for another eligible voting member who cannot attend a Special General Meeting. Find the proxy form here.
Here’s a reminder of what you need to know:
- Location: Abbotsford TRADEX, 1190 Cornell Street
- Parking: Free
- Registration opens: 7:30 am
- Breakfast available: 7:30 am
- Meeting starts: 9 am
Full meeting details and background materials, including the special resolution, are available on REALTOR Link®.
Questions? Contact FVREB Communications at: firstname.lastname@example.org.